| More

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Oregano Gangster

Knaus Berry Farms is in town.
They're a group of Dunkers (not Amish) who have planted themselves in South Miami soil. Excited, Christina & I took the Oldsmobile in flight to the Redlands to see the varied display of produce and baked goods in store for us. There's a buzz about the cinnamon buns which doesn't really interest me, but I was still intrigued by the hype. Upon arrival I was slightly disappointed that it was as small as it was. There was more baked goods than produce. But this beautiful zip-loc bag of fresh micro oregano was well worth the trip (as well as the satisfaction of supporting farmers and local produce of any kind).

But now I have this fairly large amount of oregano and it needs to be used. I've so far sprinkled it here and there and had it in a labor-intensive bolognese (inspired by Heston Blumenthal) that was well worth it.

Oregano reminds me mostly of Italy and Peru so my plan is to do a beef heart risotto for the best of both worlds. Very soon.

P.S.
The cinnamon buns were pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. that place is awesome! the cinnamon buns are fantastic, the cheese bread, herb bread, and milkshakes are must haves every time i go. most things are reasonably priced too

    ReplyDelete
  2. i gotta get a milkshake next time.

    ReplyDelete